With the release of Windows Server 2016 version 1709, I’ll show you how to deploy a Windows Containers Host on it.
In this blog post, I’ll show you how to Install Docker 17.06 and Docker Enterprise Edition Preview build which support many great features like Linux Containers.
In my case, I’m Installing Docker on a Virtual Machine Not Physical Server.
Below, you will find all the new features that come with 1709 (Linux Containers will work for now on the Docker Preview Edition until Docker 17.10 Will be released).
What’s new In Windows Containers on 1709
- Windows Server Core 2016 Version 1709 Container Image is now 60% smaller
- Windows Nano Server 2016 Version 1709 is now a Container Image only and the image size has been reduced to 80MB only from 390 MB.
- Linux Containers Support – You can now run Linux Containers on Windows Container host when using Hyper-V Isolation
- SMB global mapping- Map SMB File Share Inside a Windows Container
Windows Server 2016 Version 1709
- Container Storage – Map CSV volumes with Storage Space Direct and map them to Containers
- Docker’s Routing Mesh Networking – ocker’s built-in orchestration solution for containers for Swarm Cluster Is now supported on 1709
Container Host As a VM
If you’re Installing Docker on a Virtual Machine you must enable Nested Virtualization on the Container Host using the cmdlet below (turn the VM off first)
Set-VMProcessor -VMName 2016rtm -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true
Get-VMNetworkAdapter -VMName 2016rtm | Set-VMNetworkAdapter -MacAddressSpoofing On
Install Docker 17.06
The current stable release and support by Microsoft is version 17.06 which has all the latest features and security patches.
To get started First I’ll install the Docker PowerShell Module
Now, I’ll install docker version 17.06 which works with version 1709
Install-Package Docker -ProviderName DockerProvider -RequiredVersion 17.06 -Verbose
Once completed, I’ll restart the Server and check the version using
Install Docker Preview
To Install docker Enterprise Preview Edition that support new features use the commands below.
Note: If you just need to update Docker Enterprise Edition click here.
Install-Package Docker -ProviderName DockerProvider -RequiredVersion preview
When completed, I’ll restart the Server and install Hyper-V which will allow me to run Linux Container using Hyper-V Isolation.
About Windows Server Version 1709
First announced five months ago, Windows Server 2016 version 1709 released as Semi-Annual Channel with 18 months support.
Long and Semi-Annual Channel
- As Announced a few months ago, Windows Server is now available in two release modules.Long-Term Servicing channel – This Is the current and most familiar module where a new operating system version is released every 2-3 years with 5 years support cycle.
Semi-Annual Channel – This new module will offer two new releases every year with new features and roles, support will be available for 18 months.
The Semi-Annual Channel is only available for Volume Licensing Customers with Software Assurance.
If you don’t have Software Assurance you can use Microsoft Azure where it’s available.